Possibly the largest contributory factor to our sites individuality is its setting within the extensive former kitchen gardens and pleasure grounds of Wentworth Woodhouse.
Quite simply they are a labour of love and we are proud custodians guiding them through the current stage of their existence. The gardens are entirely self funded where a constant programme of renovation over the past thirty years has seen them brought back to life from the overgrown wilderness we inherited all those years ago.
Projects undertaken by ourselves (amongst others) have included:
- The complete redesign and replanting of the Millennium Maze (in conjunction with Fitzwilliam Wentworth Estates) which had been ‘grubbed’ out shortly after WWII.
- A complete overhaul of the Rock Garden including the creation and renovation of rockeries, fern and hosta borders, ponds, pools and cascades complete with an accompanying planting scheme.
- Renovation of the formal Italian Garden and it’s canal pond alongside the planting of various topiary and herbaceous borders.
- The creation of a Woodland Walk and various Spring borders replete with seasonal bulbs and perennials plus tens of thousands of Snowdrops.
- The addition of a Fallow Deer paddock.
- Major rebuilding works to the collapsed terraces of the Sunken Garden.
- The commission and installation of a seventy five metre long Wisteria arch.
Additionally we recognise the huge importance of these gardens as a vital habitat to a vast array of wildlife including birds, mammals, insects, amphibians and plant life. We are committed to raising awareness of our native wildlife and creating habitats which enables it to thrive in our garden. With the help of local RSPB expert, Steve Rutherford, we are compiling a detailed record of wildlife sightings in and around our site throughout the calendar year.
We hope that you will derive as much pleasure from visiting the gardens as we have over the years and hopefully, through visitor support and our own investment we can leave a lasting legacy for generations to come.
RHS Partner Garden Scheme
We are delighted to have been accepted into the prestigious RHS Partner Garden Scheme which entitles RHS members to FREE ENTRY year round upon production of membership card.
For further details please click here